Like other metro suburbs, Shorewood has encountered coyote sightings and related activity over the past few years. Coyotes are scavengers that will roam wherever necessary to find food. Residents should be aware that coyotes will prey on many types of mammals, including domestic pets of various sizes.
Residents are advised to take the following simple precautions:
- Do not leave pet food or garbage outside.
- Do not intentionally feed coyotes.
- Do not leave dogs or cats outside unattended for long periods of time.
- Pets should be leashed when walking in any recreational area.
- If confronted by a coyote, shouting or making some other loud noise should frighten away the animal.
Additional information regarding coyotes maybe found on the Minnesota Dept. of Natural Resources web site.