City News, Reports and Projects
Motorists traveling in Excelsior and Shorewood will encounter a detour near the intersection of Highway 7 and Hennepin County Road 19/Oak Street July 14-16, weather permitting. Access from southbound County Road 19 to eastbound Highway 7 will be closed to traffic. Access from eastbound Highway 7 to northbound County Road 19 also will be closed to traffic. Mainline Highway 7 at County Road 19 will remain open to through traffic.
Southbound County Road 19 motorists intending to access eastbound Highway 7 will be detoured to northbound Water Street, eastbound Second Street, eastbound Excelsior Boulevard and southbound Christmas Lake Road.
Eastbound Highway 7 motorists intending to access northbound County Road 19 will be detoured to northbound Christmas Lake Road, westbound Excelsior Boulevard, westbound Second Street and southbound Water Street.
The intersection closure is part of a larger construction project on Highway 7 and County Road 19 that begins July 8. Work is scheduled to be completed in late-August, weather permitting.
Additional lane closures
- The left u-turn lane from westbound Highway 7 to eastbound Highway 7 will be closed July 9-23.
- There will be temporary lane closures at the intersection during off-peak hours through late-August.
The project includes:
- Reconfiguring the right turn lane from westbound Highway 7 to County Road 19.
- Adding a left turn lane and extending the current left turn lane from eastbound Highway 7 to County Road 19.
- Resurfacing at the intersection.
Proposed project schedule for the 2014 Street and Utility Improvement Project
Neighborhood Open House Held...... 02/24/14(complete)
Accept Feasibility Report/Set Public Improvement Hearing......03/24/14 (complete)
Public Improvement Hearing/Order Project......05/12/14 complete
Approve Plans and Specifications / Authorize Ad for Bid......06/23/14(complete)
Award Construction Contract......08/11/14
Construction Substantially Complete......10/31/14
Declare Costs /Set Assessment Hearing......11/2014
Certify Assessments to County......12/2014
Final Completion (Final Lift of Bituminous Wear Course......Spring/Summer 2015
The development proposed for the Chanhassen property south of the intersection of West 62nd Street and Strawberry Lane will not be in Shorewood, but will affect Shorewood property owners. To stay up to date on this project, see the City of Chanhassen's Boulder Cove project web page.
This project currently affects Radisson Road in Shorewood.
The Metropolitan Council Environmental Services (MCES) project to construct a second sewer force main in Shorewood and Greenwood east of Excelsior is in full swing. If you have any questions regarding the project MCES please call Tom Buchal at 651-325-6369 or Quentin Knaak at 651-325-5790. See the project website for complete information and project updates.
Walk-in sessions for property owners and project stakeholders to visit with Tom Buchal, MCES's Construction Contract Administrator:
- Walk-in sessions are held the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of each month from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m.
- Location: MCES Construction Field Office at 19285 Highway 7 (south side of Highway 7 at Vine Hill Rd.).
- To sign up for project e-mail updates, please send an e-mail to email@example.com stating that you would like to receive Excelsior Area Sewer Improvements e-mail updates.
2014 Construction affecting Shorewood residents will be on Excelsior Boulevard from Manor Road to St. Albans Bay Road and Covington Road from about 500 feet west of Carrie Lane to the top of the hill east of the cemetery entrance.